UFC 99: THE COMEBACK
June 19, 2009
From Cologne, Germany. Original airdate: 6/13/09
- Welterweight bout: Dan Hardy d. Marcus Davis via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28). Why does Hardy care what Marcus wants to represent? Anyways, this was a good fight nonetheless as Marcus ate the most strikes, but he controlled the fight. Plus it had near submissions.
- Lightweight bout: Spencer Fisher d Caol Uno via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28). Not the greatest of fights and it was a bit of a snoozefest... Uno needs to push it.
- Welterweight bout: Mike Swick d Ben Saunders via TKO (strikes) at 3:47 of round 2. Ben’s nickname is “Killa B,” which no self-respecting white guy should ever have. That alone is reason enough for Swick to kill him. Anyhoo, Swick looked excellent against a very good fighter. Mike is no Georges St. Pierre, but he’s a good jack-of-all-trades type of fighter.
- Heavyweight bout: Mirko Filipovic d Mostapha Al-turk via TKO (Strikes) at 3:06 of round 1. Cro Cop won by eye poke of doom! Sucks that it had to end on a eyepoke because Mirko was gonna beat him up anyway as turk was just swinging wild. Oh, and if titles were decided on entrance music, Al Turk would be undisputed champ no doubt.
- Heavyweight bout: Cain Velasquez d. Cheick Kongo via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27). Cain is the new Tito Ortiz. Good staredown at the start. Anyways, Cain just dominated Kongo after getting rocked in the beginning. Kongo was fighting like a dumbass; he needed to create space and throw his hands. Kongo has fallen in love with grappling and I don't know why. Anyhoo, Kongo could have won this if he kept distance and throws hands. I think Brock would murder Cain. I now hate Velasquez the same way I hate Coleman and Don Frye back in the day.
- Catchweight (195 lb) bout: Rich Franklin d. Wanderlei Silva via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28). Damn Wanderlei. Losing to a friggin' math teacher. What's amazing was that Wanderlei was basically running on fumes after Round 1 and Franklin still couldn't do crap. Bad decision, screw Franklin. I hope he gets cancer. Wandy should have won that. You can't give the last round to Rich just for a meaningless takedown. Damn, I hate how scoring a harmless takedown is weighted so heavily. Say what you want about Japan's scoring system but what they get right is that takedowns are not skewed heavily like they are in the UFC.
Final Thoughts: It was probably the worst and most uninteresting PPV card I have seen in at least a year. I didn't really care about any of the matches going in, the matches ended up being pretty boring with too many judges decisions. Just didn't seem like the guys were trying their hardest.